Fitzgerald Street Northam
Former National Bank - No 55
This building was once the National Bank and the Northam Shire Council Offices. It was built in
1908 in Federation Free Classical Style.
Former Western Australia Bank - No 85
This building was constructed in 1918, in Inter-War Academic Classical Style and was once the WA
Shamrock Hotel - No 112
This two storey rendered stone and brick building was built between 1861 - 1866 for George
Throssell. The hotel was built in Victorian Georgian Style. Known originally as Farmer's Home Hotel, in 1891 the
new owner, Joseph O'Hara, changed the hotel's name to 'The Shamrock'. The building features decorative parapet and
a suspended canopy over the footpath. The building also cleverly accommodates the bend in the road. Today, little
of the interior has changed, still having the original pressed metal ceilings, stained glass windows and
Former State Housing Commission - No 129
This building was constructed in 1906, in Federation Free Style.
Former Bank of New South Wales - No 161
This building which was once the Bank of New South Wales building, was constructed in 1915, in
Federation Academic Classical Style.
Commonwealth Bank Building - No 181
This two storey, Inter War Stripped Classical Style building was constructed in 1923. Known as the
Commonwealth Bank building, it features curved entrance portico (composed of double height, fluted columns with
Corinthian capitals), stepped roof parapet which reaches a central apex and a zigzag frieze in the entablature
which represent a Inter War Beaux Arts style.
Commercial Hotel - No 188
The Commercial Hotel was built for Michael Cody between 1902 to 1903,
in Federation Filigree Style. Michael Cody was also owner of the Grand Hotel, which was located right near to
the Old Railway Station, a little further up the road.
Northam Post Office - No 239 - 243
The Northam Post Office was built in 1908, in Federation Free Style. The building was design by
Hillson Beasley, chief architect of the Western Australian Public Works Department.
Northam Advertiser Building - No 245
The Northam Advertiser began as the Central Districts Advertiser and Agricultural and Mining
Journal on 25 November, 1893. The first editorial was written by J.T. Reilly. The Federation warehouse was
constructed in 1893 in a Inter-War Stripped Classical Style. The building features four ribbed, rendered masonry
piers which are topped by a decorative beam. The beam bears the name of the establishment.
Northam Town Council Offices - No 298
The grey cement Town Council Offices were constructed between 1971 - 1974, in Late 20th-Century
Brutalist Style. The architect was Ivan Ivanoff.
Northam Public Library - No 298
The Northam Library, like the Council Offices was built between 1971 - 1974, in Late 20th-Century
Brutalist Style by architect, Ivan Ivanoff.
Avon Bridge Hotel - No 310
The Avon Bridge Hotel is located on the corner of Fitzgerald and Gairdner St. The hotel was
constructed between 1859 - 1897 in Victorian Georgian Style.
This two storey Georgian structure is all that remains of the original
Wilding's Hotel. The hotel was built in 1860 from local stone. It features squared stone quoins. The building
is now part of the Avon Hotel.
Former Northam Railway Station
The single storey brick, iron and timber Railway Station was constructed in 1900, in Federation
Grand Hotel - No 426
The Grand Hotel was built in 1895, for Michael Cody (who did all the timber work) in Federation
Filigree Style. The two storey brick and iron hotel is one of the few Australian hotels that still has its original
timber verandah intact. Cody was also instrumental in building the Commercial Hotel further along Fitzgerald
Street, closer to the town central. The Grand Hotel was built about a hundred metres from the first West Northam
Railway Station. Passengers arriving in Northam would often be greeted with a bellringer inviting people to
wanderer over to the hotel for a drink and entertainment. The Grand was often frequented by the railway
Other Streets in Northam