Brief History The historical town of Greenough is located 400km north of Perth, Western
Australia on a coastal plain of rich fertile pastures. The area was first explored by George Grey in 1839 who
was looking for more agricultural pastoral lands for expansion of the colony. Grey named the river,
Greenough, after his sponsor, Sir George Bellas Greenough (President of the Royal Geographical Society). The
town was later to be named after the river. Click here for more history of Greenough.
Things You May Not Know About GreenoughThe post code for Greenough is 6532.
Maitland Brown was appointed the first Greenough Resident Magistrate in 1865.
In 1898, the Greenough Convent was built for a group of Dominican Sisters whom had arrived from New
Monsignor Hawes , who was instrumental in designing many churches throughout the State, was the
last priest to stay at the Presbytery.
In 1993 the small Hamlet was rocked by a one of the worst crimes in Western Australia's
history the Greenough Family Massacre (be warned the
information about the crime is graphic and may disturb some people).
Things Are Looking Up In GreenoughThe small town of Greenough was once a thriving farming community but fell
victim to the increased productivity of farmers in other rural towns. As improved road and rail systems
expanded throughout the State, Greenough was left behind. By the 1930's all the mills had closed in the area
and the hamlet became nothing more than a ghost town. Today, many of the old buildings have been restored to
their former glory, through the assistance of National Trust WA. Many interesting architectural buildings of
note can be found at Central Greenough . Other significant buildings in the area are Maley's Mill, Cliff Grange
Farmhouse, Maley's Bridge and Greenough Hotel.
Important Links To Greenough
Shire of Greenough
National Trust WA