Rabbit Proof Fence
Here's How it all StartedIn 1859 Thomas Austin imported 12 breeding pairs of rabbits from Europe to
place on his property in Geelong, Victoria. The rabbits were to be used for sport (game hunting) but they
soon began to breed out of control. In 1901 a Royal Commission was held into the increasing number of rabbits
hopping into W.A. from South Australia.
The SolutionThe solution was to build a Rabbit Proof
Fence. Construction of this wire fence began in 1902 & was finally completed in 1907. By the time of its
completion many rabbits had already hopped into W.A. Two more fences were built at taxpayers expense before
the government realised it was a waste of time and money.
The original fence, The State Barrier Fence, is now used mainly to control
movement of dingoes, emus & kangaroos. The fence runs for 1,832km & is the longest in the world. The
fence runs between Starvation Bay ,west of Esperance, to the Ninety Mile Beach, east of Port Hedland. It is
estimated that over 8,000 tonnes of material were used in its initial construction. Many of the posts for the
fence were cut from the nearby bushland (where possible!). The south section of the fence passes to the east