Wellington Street Northam
St John's Anglican Church
St John's Anglican Church was built and consecrated in 1890. The foundation stone was laid by
Bishop Dr Parry in 1889. The church was built from locally quarried stone in a Gothic Revival Style. The interior
of the church features roof truss system, jarrah ceiling and stain glass windows. The east windows have insets of
St George's Cathedral & Old St James which was Northam's first church which is no longer standing. During the
Meckering Earthquake in 1968, the church suffered quite substantial damage.
St John's Hall
The Parish Hall was built in 1897, next to St John's Anglican Church in the same style as the
church. It was also built from locally quarried stone and features a timber ceiling and roof truss system. The
Parish Hall, like the church, was damaged during the 1968, Meckering earthquake.
Old Girl's School
This building was the first school house in Northam and was built in 1877, by George Throssell. The
brick school house features decorative Flemish bond with stucco quoins design.
Old Post Office
The Old Post Office built in 1873, was the first permanent post office
in Northam. The building, which is believed to be a George Temple Poole design, features an ornate pediment
over the entry, a hexagonal verandah and a crow stepped gable.
Salvation Army Citadel
The Salvation Army Citadel is located at 47 Wellington St and was built in 1900.
The Northam Courthouse was built in 1896, in Federation Free Classical
Style. The design was produced by the Department of Works (later the Public Works Department) under George
Temple Poole, the Colonial Architect.
Old Police Station
The Police Station was built in c.1910 and was designed by Hillson Beasley.
Links To More Western Australian Architecture
Architecture of Bridgetown
Architecture of New Norcia
Fitzgerald Street, Northam