Brief History of Beverley
Beverley is situated on the edge of the Western Australian Wheatbelt and was founded in 1838. The town was named Beverley by Charles Simmons (the Surgeon General) because of the similarity he saw of the landscape to his hometown of Beverley in Yorkshire, England. The town has an interesting collection of Art Deco buildings. More history of Beverley.
Things You May Not Know About Beverley
During the late 1800’s and the early 1900’s the water supply of Beverley came from wells and the Avon River .
Just outside of Beverley is the Avondale Research Station which was one of the first properties settled in WA. The station was originally owned by Governor James Stirling. On the 16th March 1979, Prince Charles visited Avondale and planted a tree near the entrance to the farm.
A sheep disease known as Braxy-like disease (also known as infectious enterotoxaemia and the more colourful Pulpy kidney) originated in the Beverley/ York areas in 1915. This nasty disease
spread throughout the agricultural area, killing sheep within hours of contamination. In 1930, Avondale began to research the disease, under the direction of Dr Harold Bennetts, who was Western Australia’s first veterinary pathologist. Bennetts eventually identified the cause of the disease (Bacillus ovitoxicus) and as a result developed a infectious enterotoxaemia vaccine.