Architecture of New Norcia
One of the most astonishing experiences in Western Australia is driving around the bend of the Great Northern Highway and suddenly seeing New Norcia. After miles and miles of wheat fields the last thing you expect to see is a Spanish style town appearing from out of nowhere.
The New Norcia Monastery, which is located on the site of the first mission (1847), was completed by Abbot Torres.
Museum & Art Gallery
The New Norcia Museum and Art Gallery was formerly the Aboriginal Girls Orphanage. The building was built in 1847 and founded by Salvado. The Art Gallery houses paintings by Spanish and Italian Masters.
The Abbey Church was originally built as a Georgian church, but architect Abbot Torres created a Mediterranean feel with the additions of a Latin-type facade & bell tower.
St Gertrude’s Girls Residence
Abbot Torres designed & supervised the construction of the girls college. St. Gertrude’s Girls College was administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart from 1908-1978.
St. Ildephonsus’ Boys Residence
Designed by Abbot Torres the St Ilephonsus Boys College was administered by the Marist Brothers from 1913-1963.
Old Flour Mill
The Old Flour Mill was built in the 1850’s and is the oldest surviving building in New Norcia.
New Flour Mill
The New Flour Mill was built in 1879 and is believed to be the oldest working flour mill in Western Australia. The flour from the mill is used to create the New Norcia bread which is baked in the ovens at the monastery.
Old Police Station & Gaol
New Norcia Hotel
The New Norcia Hotel was originally designed by a monk Fr. Urbano as a monastery guest house.